Scalp Micropigmentation vs Tricopigmentation: What’s the Difference?
If you’re looking into tattoos as a treatment for hair loss, you may have come across the terms “micropigmentation” and “tricopigmentation.” At Medical Tattoo Centers of America, we offer both types of tattoos for hair loss, and we’re happy to explain the difference. We believe every patient should be educated on their options for hair loss solutions, so that you can make an informed decision that you’re ultimately happy with.
When you’re trying to decide between scalp micropigmentation or tricopigmentation, it comes down to permanence. Do you want a tattoo that gives the illusion of thicker, fuller hair forever? Or do you want to try it out first? Read on to learn more, then get in touch with our experts to learn more about our services!
What Is Scalp Micropigmentation?
Most hair loss solutions on the market promise – and fail – to regrow hair. Scalp micropigmentation is different, because rather than trying to stimulate hair growth, it creates the illusion of a thicker, fuller head of hair.
Scalp micropigmentation: a non-invasive hair loss treatment where microneedles are used to deposit pigment into the scalp.
Basically, scalp micropigmentation is a hair tattoo. A trained technician injects custom-colored pigment into the epidermal layer of the scalp in tiny, layered dots. The result creates the appearance of tiny hair follicles that add density to thinning areas.
Benefits of Scalp Micropigmentation
● Is the only 100% effective solution for hair loss.
● One of the most affordable hair replacement strategies.
● Is non-invasive and safe – doesn’t involve the use of any harmful chemicals or drugs.
● Is typically completed in just one session.
● Heals quickly, usually in less than a week.
● Lasts three to six years with minimal maintenance.
● Pigment is fully customizable.
● Application causes mild discomfort for most patients.
● Can also be used to conceal scars or imperfections on the scalp.
What Is Scalp Tricopigmentation?
Interested in scalp micropigmentation but not sure you want a permanent hair tattoo? We also offer a less permanent version of that procedure.
Tricopigmentation: a semi-permanent hairline tattoo that fades over time.
This procedure is nearly identical to scalp micropigmentation, but a different form of pigment is used. This pigment is not nearly as long-lasting, so it must be reapplied every 6-18 months.
Benefits of Scalp Tricopigmentation
Scalp tricopigmentation offers all of the same benefits as scalp micropigmentation listed above, except for its permanence. At some clinics, tricopigmentation is also more affordable than micropigmentation for the initial procedure.
However, because tricopigmentation requires touch-ups much more frequently, in the long run, the maintenance required makes tricopigmentation costs much higher. Another disadvantage of scalp tricopigmentation is that while the pigment used in scalp micropigmentation can be removed with a laser, the pigment used in tricopigmentation can’t – the patient must wait until it fades away.
For these reasons, we typically recommend scalp pigmentation over tricopigmentation. But scalp tricopigmentation remains a great option for those who are not ready to say “Yes” to a permanent hair loss solution.
Our Process for Hair Tattoos
Medical Tattoo Centers of America performs female and male scalp micropigmentation and tricopigmentation in the Twin Cities. We’re proud to offer a safe space for all hair loss patients, because we understand what it’s like to endure physical trauma that reflects on your mental health.
We follow a simple, structured process for hair tattoo procedures:
1. Free Consultation – When you come to us for any procedure, whether it is for scalp micropigmentation, tricopigmentation, a different medical tattoo, or something else, we offer a free consultation. This is our time to get to know you and discover why you are seeking our services. We understand the pain you may feel from losing your hair, and we’re here to listen and help you heal.
2. Schedule Appointment – During the initial consultation, we’ll settle on a day and time for your procedure. To book your appointment, a 25% deposit is required.
3. Payment – In the days or weeks leading up to your procedure, you must pay for the treatment in full. Learn more about our pricing, payment options, discounts, and scheduling here.
4. Treatment Day – Your privacy and comfort are our top priority. On the day of your procedure, you will be the only patient in the clinic. To perform scalp micropigmentation or tricopigmentation, we use a hand tool with a sterile needle attached to the end to inject pigment into your scalp. Depending on the size of the area being tattooed, your procedure could take anywhere from two to eight hours.
5. Touch-Ups – While scalp micropigmentation is considered permanent, any ink will fade over time. This means you may need to return for occasional touch-ups every 3-6 years. We offer one free touch-up within six months of your initial procedure.
If you opt for scalp tricopigmentation, you’ll need touch-ups much more frequently, which is definitely a deciding factor between the two procedures. If you want to learn more about scalp micropigementation, here are a few more things you should consider.
Book Scalp Micropigmentation or Tricopigmentation in the Twin Cities
There are many reasons why adults of all genders and ages experience hair loss, from alopecia and other medical conditions to hormone changes and hereditary causes. Whether hair loss happens gradually or abruptly, it can affect a person psychologically, causing anxiety, depression, social phobia, and even PTSD.
If you’re experiencing hair loss, you may have tried many treatments that promised to regrow your hair. Unfortunately, many hair loss solutions are fruitless, and despite many years of research, there is no “cure” for baldness. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatments are a promising new innovation for regrowing hair, but due to many factors, they aren’t effective for every person. The good news? Medical innovation continues to expand and improve hair loss solutions, and non-surgical treatments, such as scalp micropigmentation and tricopigmentation, can help hair loss patients look and feel more like themselves.
Medical Tattoo Centers of America is the first center of its kind in the state of Minnesota. We specialize in female and male hair loss solutions and provide many services to help clients look and feel their best. No matter why you’re experiencing hair loss or how you feel about it, we offer a permanent or semi-permanent solution and compassionate care. Schedule your free consultation today!